For those who have booked to attend tomorrows's Puanga Maunga Karakia at Tūroa ski field below is an outline of the dawn karakia, protocols and a little safety advice.
The weather is looking to be on the improve from today with westerly winds and a little morning cloud clearing later in the day. If you're traveling up in your own vehicle PLEASE wait at the base of the Mountain Road until the bus has past the Ngāti Rangi Trust office at approx 5.15am.
If you urgently need to call us, please remember the office will not be open this early however, feel free to contact: Liz Brooker on 021 637 516 or Kataraina Cassidy on 027 375 4230
A few things to remember...
- Please keep warm at all times and be careful of the ICE
- Upon arriving at the Tūroa Ski Fields Car Park please wait in the bus until you are given instructions to go to the ceremonial gathering place
- If you have a torch, please use it when walking around and be careful of the ICE
- Once we are gathered at Ceremony 1 gathering place, please be quiet, turn all torches off and please NO recording of Ceremony 1
- At the conclusion of Ceremony 1 we will be led to the site of Ceremony 2, please take your time and be careful of the ICE, please note that this is a procession and karakia will continue to be said as we walk
- Once we are gathered around the fire, Ceremony 2 will be conducted and a time will be given for people to call out the names of their loved ones that have passed since June last year
- At the conclusion of both ceremonies all are welcome to breakfast in the café